Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Road to Scranton

In the early 1970's, Harry Chapin wrote the song "30,000 Pounds of Bananas" about the killer road descending into Scranton, Pennsylvania. I wrote a verse about it as well. It's simply called "The Road to Scranton".

The Road to Scranton

The road that leads to Scranton
Is the scariest I’ve seen
And if you’ve ever driven it
You know just what I mean

Whenever I’m approaching it
I’m stricken with the shakes
I always say a prayer or two
And double check my brakes

The steepness is so awesome
You’ll think your car might fly
And if your brakes ain’t working
Then kiss your ass goodbye

And I’ve got some advice for you
That’s very good to know
When driving down that awful road
Make sure you shift to Low

And if you go in summer’s heat
And make it down alive
Check coolant when returning
It’s a brutal uphill drive


Steven Pein
19 June 2010
.

No comments: