Sunday, February 28, 2010

Wait...A poem for Bonnie

Bonnie,
This one was written just for you!
For the rest of you who don't know how much I loved Bonnie, it was written in 1967 while I was in Germany and it was about the girl I loved and left behind. It's great that we still think of one another as our lives have passed these many decades. It was a love that wasn't meant to be, but it was all consuming to me at the time.

Wait

At times like this I sit and think
About the love we shared
The war went on around us
And yet we never cared
But now the world for us has changed
To dark and misty blue
The Army has taken a love away
Taken me away from you

No matter how strong our love may be
How powerful and great
Three years is just too long I fear
For any girl to wait
But if there is a girl on earth
Whose love can see it through
I’m sure that girl is the one I love
That girl, she must be you

So please be true and wait for me
Through hours that are blue
I’ll come back home
We’ll have our love
A life for me and you


Steven Pein
22 July 1967
.

No comments: